Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Lawyers and Letting Go

So, today is the day. I see my lawyer to discuss, in person, what I should do about my ex-husband. I am inclined to be really mean - to ask for him to be arrested if it's possible, etc. But then I waiver because I know that my things aren't at the house - he has taken them somewhere else. Because I am moving on with my life and maybe being as vindictive as he is won't help. And then I think - maybe it will. Maybe I need to get angry and not vindictive. Maybe he needs to take some responsibility for the things he does wrong, and maybe I need to finally stand up for myself. The meeting is this morning. I am nervous.

I have found out things throughout this whole process of divorce like:
1. Pay attention to yourself, and don't shove doubts inside thinking that they don't matter. Listen to your inner voice even if it sounds crazy.
2. Some men are extremely vindictive, especially the ones that apparently wanted to control you. These are usually the men who blame you for things like pulling a gun on you, or aiding in the ruin (too strong a word though - the screw up?) of a family.
3. Some things you will always wonder - like, if you had gotten shot, would your brother love you, better yet, LIKE you, again, and perhaps even agree that your decisions are your own, even if he doesn't know the reasons for them?
4. Lawyers are extremely intimidating, even the ones you like, and you should dress cute - yet somewhat professionally. I am wearing khakis and a cute fuschia shirt.
5. You really find out who you can count on.
6. Always have a towel!

3 comments:

Bishniak said...

Tonight on It's the mind, we experience the frontiers of De Ja Vu. That strange sensation.. that we've read the same post before...

Bishniak said...

Tonight on It's the mind, we experience the frontiers of De Ja Vu. That strange sensation.. that we've read the same post before. :)

Kathleen said...

Hehe..I think I posted this twice by accident. Oops!