Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Tuesday

Okay, at the risk of sounding like a broken record...what the hell is going on!?! I was just on my way down to the car dealership to get George fixed (the car, not a real guy!) and there's one guy..standing on the side of the road holding an anti-choice, pro-life, anti-abortion, whatever you want to call it sign. I actually couldn't see exactly what it said, so I sorta felt sorry for him cause I don't think anyone could get his message going forty miles an hour or whatever. And then, I started thinking about how he would feel if someone was all...you HAVE to get a vasectomy..messing around with his body..becasue they believed it was wrong for guys to have sperm. I realize I'm rambling here but I just got so annoyed. I also have a question: why is it that there are so few women that bomb clinics and harass the women who go there - even if they're just going for birth control or some other type of help. I mean, I know that there are women opposed to abortion. Surely they're just as adamant as the men, so why is it that it is mainly men (I am not trying to be all sexist) who do the violence? Is it a testosterone thing? A threatened by women's ability to make their own choices thing? A frustration thing? An all three thing? I just get so annoyed. Okay..enough with the rant. Sorry people for those of you tired of this topic. But I've started to become a little more activist-minded on this issue.

8 comments:

Bishniak said...

You appear to suggest that a man does not have a say in the child he helped create. This I have issue with.

Two people made the child, so it should be fair that the male does have some say in it. It's not rightly fair to shut a man out of this merely because he's not carrying the child.

and generally, yes, Men are more violent and tend to show that. However, if it was soley men blowing things up, then we would not hear of the female warriors in the middle east walking in and blowing themselves up.

Bishniak said...

just to point out, your comment "...the decision is ultimately the woman's..." still suggests the don't have a say. Sure we may suggest, and you could take it into consideration, but ultimatley our decision isn't anything if you decide against us. It shouldn't be that way. Two people made the kid, two people should have a say.

Bishniak said...

and when I say "the don't have a say" I of course meam the men. It just seemed obvious so I didn't feel like I should add it.

Anonymous said...

Well, I have been one of those people who stood outside a clinic with a pro-life sign. Because you can be pro-life without being anti-choice. the so called "pro-choice" people are really the anti choicers. Because they dont want to hear any viewpoint other than their own. If you are pro-life, you obviously hate women. It's like back in the day when I used to be big into Xena, and you couldnt post on the boards without being a fan of the Xena/Gabrielle pairing or you were a homophobic nazi. People need to be open to viewpoints other than their own. I used to think abortion was ok, until I did research on it and realized that it hurts more people than it helps. I read all the pro-life viewpoints as well as the pro-choice before making my decision. And it makes me sad that other people arent as willing to hear what other people have to say.

Kathleen said...

Actually, I consider myself both. I wouldn't say that being pro-life is antiwoman, although I am sure there are people out there who do, I just think that many people who are pro-life haven't come up with a solution that helps the mother too. Of course, to many pro-lifers adoption helps both, but I think there are too many variables about adoption to make it helpful to both.

Kathleen said...

And yes, it's sad that people don't hear both sides. I was pro-life until I heard from women who were pro-choice and had had an abortion, or never had one and gave their baby up for adoption. The point I got was that at least they had the choice to do that - put their baby up for adoption, have an abortion, or keep the baby. And as for the men, well, sorry Brad, I've heard from some men, but it's mostly from the side of what their opinion is, not whether they'd ever gone through the situation of having a girlfriend or wife or someone close to them decide or not. So I really can't say much about that. I have always agreed that men should have a say. But while two people went into making the thing, only one has to carry it, and get it out! which I think has some weight.

Bishniak said...

Well, it chaps my hide that my opinion on my child would count for bupkiss merely because I don't get to carry it around. It's not my fault God Designed me the way I am.

I'm sure both sides would love that fight in the courtroom, a woman wanting to terminate the pregnancy, while the father fights to save his child.

Kathleen said...

It would be an exciting case, I wonder who would win..I think I have a new plot for a legal thriller..thanks! - and I didn't say it was your fault. It is biology, and men are important!