Friday, April 14, 2006

Heat Wave

So, those of you who are in Kansas know that we are having a record-breaking heat wave and today it is supposed to be around 90-some degrees. Would you like to know how warm it is in every single building on campus? Around 88-some degrees! That's right - the maintenance people decided to upgrade our air-conditioning systems in April (I don't know why updates can't happen in February, you don't need to turn on the air conditioner forever to see that it works!) and every building on campus has no air. In 90-some degree heat. Including the library and computer rooms, which of course are hotter because of the electrical output and all that. SO I think all of you should respond with sympathy and good cheer, because right now I am just sitting here - SITTING - typing and still I am sweating and rather hot and kinda miserable. That's how much I love to have posts for you! Okay..and on some other, much better news, tonight I am hanging with good friends and seeing CSA: the Confederate States of America. It's a mockumentary answering the question: what would the country be like if the Confederacy had won the Civil War? Should be good. And tomorrow I get to go to the zoo (fingers crossed!) with my friend Sara and Brad and my bf Nick! I am so excited. Plus, my thesis topic has been decided, my research started, and my advisors like it!!! Things are good for right now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel better its 90's here too and they still have our heaters turned on but not the swamp coolers. Now if you know anything about swamp coolers and the desert you know I feel your pain but mine will be worse in about a week's time. Yes I feel the posting love though. May I request that you post a bit about the CSA b/c that sounds sweet. Not that if they did win really but...it just sounds like a good watch. One other thing, what did you decide for you thesis if you don't mind me asking.

Kathleen said...

CSA was really funny - it was done in a Ken Burns style and then had commercials for real products based on slave images - they were more popular in the 1800s-1950s of course, but as the epilogue thing pointed out, we still have them - in Aunt Jemima syrup and Uncle Ben's rice. So it was disturbinly funny and I recommend seeing it if you can, or renting it later. Oh, and my thesis has been narrowed down to a study of Haskell Indian Institute in Lawrence - my advisor and I are hoping that during the Administration of Charles Robinson (who was a governor of KS) there was a scandal (I am just hoping we remember correctly!)