Friday, February 24, 2006

History

Today, I sat through a whole lot of documentaries, hoping that the kids would nail it and I could be all, wow, they're only in sixth grade? I wasn't thinking about that until college. Unfortunately, those were few and far between. However, what was produced was absolutely cool. At least it got kids thinking about history, and who has taken a stand within history and what impact that made on us. I am seriously thinking of getting a teaching degree merely to help kids do well on history day. I don't know how well I would do of course, because I am only thinking of the fun parts of teaching. It's just amazing though, how creative kids can be and I just wanted to get that point across and basically give all kids some props for being so courageous in whatever they try to do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you'd be great as a children's teacher....of course, PhD makes more money usually. Do what makes you happy, as long as you don't hurt yourself, or kill anyone in the process. Note that I didn't say 'hurt' anyone else, because hurting others is an inevitable part of growing up and being your own person. By being true to yourself, you run the risk of 'hurting' your parents, family, friends, and strangers....the best thing to do is be the best person you can in whatever you choose to attempt.

Nathan said...

I'd continue with the Phd. If you want to teach people love history, wait until you get them as freshman in college. As far as I can tell, people just don't love school until it gets interesting, and those first 12 grades are not designed to be.

Or whatever.

Anonymous said...

I judged history day a couple of years ago and it was so much fun! Some kids informed me that the native new zealander's were cannibals. Then, when I asked one of my professors, I learned that the Maouri aren't the native new zealanders. They ATE the native new zealanders. Awesome, huh?