Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Happy No-More Election Day!

Well, I guess I kind of HAVE to say something about the election. I'm already reading the "Dear God, help us," stuff on Facebook and the whole "this country is now going to fall into disaster and our grandchildren will suffer because we're going to go the way of Greece." I never remember hearing this when Bush was directing us into two unpaid-for wars, but whatever. Now, I reflect on the fact that my guy totally won. And I'm excited and hopeful again, because the Republicans can no longer hold out for their goal of destroying a possible second term for President Obama. He's got his second term. So what will they do - will they actually learn that it's not always going to be "my way or no way and if that dooms the country or ruins its good name, well I don't care." Will they start letting bills come to a vote instead of filibustering every single thing out of spite? Or will they sit up and take notice and work to try to solve the problems that past Congresses and Presidents have caused (and notice, I include Democrats in this - they're/we're not perfect by a long shot).

Will they stop talking out of their asses about rapes and women and maybe re-authorize the Violence Against Women act and help figure out a way to fund processing of rape kits? Will they stop assuming that an insurance mandate for birth control without co-pay will create a nation of sluts and just focus on maybe passing some programs that will help families support the children they already have? Will they start talking about realistic ways to cut the debt and trim programs instead of bowing to the wealthiest of the wealthy and only agree to trickle-down economics? I don't know. I hope so.

This country is heading toward a more progressive future. Last night, in Wisconsin, the first openly gay candidate secured a Senate seat. Claire McCaskill won in Missouri. Elizabeth Warren! I was thrilled - good job Massachusetts, get rid of the Tea Party, what were you THINKING?! The citizens earned my respect when they also voted against the WWE mogul in Connecticut - I just don't think Linda McMahon was the right person for a position in the government when her only accomplishment was making tons of money off sexism, violence, and frankly, stupid entertainment (my opinion!). And Republicans scared off moderate Olympia Snowe of Maine by their extreme intransigence (she retired) - and the state replaced her with an Independent who was the target of majorly negative campaign ads on the part of the Republicans super-Pac. Good job Republicans...I don't know who he'll caucus with, but I'm sure he'll remember that when he's trying to decide! Okay, I HOPE he'll remember that when trying to decide.

Maine and Maryland VOTED for marriage equality, which makes me really hope that in the future, the thought of denying two people of the same sex who love each other the right to get married will be as abhorrent as the thought of denying two people of different races who love each other the right to get married. And Colorado and Washington voted to legalize marijuana. Maybe they'll be an inspiration to us all and make tons of tax money off that move, thus heralding in a new era of a more selective War on Drugs.

Obama carried, from what I can gather in the frantic news cycle, every group under the age of 45 and most of the non-white and women voters. Perhaps the GOP will learn from this. Perhaps not. But they have a problem - they're too eager or willing to let the far right-wing, crazy-ass conservatives (and here I'm talking about the ones who won't budge no matter what and are so far from the majority's ideas that they sound batshit insane to most people in the country) control their party. Put another way - would Eisenhower have ever gotten through the Republican primary with the party today? I seriously doubt it. Moderates aren't evil. Give me a moderate that leans more to the left on social issues and slightly to the right on fiscal issues and I might have trouble making my choice at the polls.

But let me add one final thought. Yesterday, I took my daughter to vote with me. And I was sad, because I didn't see a lot of kids with their parents. I was sad because I don't remember ever going with either of my parents to vote. And my husband and I were talking on the way home about how apathetic people are - how voter turnout is so low. We were thinking that one reason might be that people aren't including their kids in this incredible and important civic responsibility (in some way - maybe your kid couldn't be trusted to behave at the polls or something like that - there are of course, variances). Maybe, if polling places had stickers for kids that said "My mommy/daddy voted" and had a more kid-friendly atmosphere, within reason of course, and the country voted to make Election Day a national holiday, so that no one has to worry about missing even an hour of work to vote, and people could celebrate and make it an awesome, educational, civic pride heavy day, our next generation would grow up thinking it could make a difference. It could take pride in voting and take the country back from the incredible influence of money in politics. Maybe not. Perhaps I'm an idealist.

But I have a lot of hope today.

Next up - I'll be talking Kansas politics. Should be fun.

No comments: