Thursday, August 11, 2011

It's A........!!!!!!!!!

Most of you read Facebook posts more often than blogs anymore. But I'm still posting, because this is one of the ways that I can chronicle my pregnancy without having to resort to keeping a journal (I wish I could, but even with time I still don't do it. Call me lazy or inconsistent, I just can't seem to keep one up continuously).

This morning N. and I headed to the doctor's office for the mid-pregnancy sonogram. We've had all the tests they offer (NT and maternal serum testing), including two other sonograms: one at my first prenatal appointment, very quickly just to see if my calculated due date was correct (it was). Then another at 13 weeks (the NT) to check for increased fluid at the back of the neck.

Both were normal and healthy. And then today was the big day - the day they measured everything, checked the amniotic fluid, and the organs, and we got even more pictures and found out the sex.

It's a GIRL!!!!! We're both excited and everything looks healthy. So, in another 21 weeks I will be the mother of a baby girl. I know the family, and close friends, are excited - even if they guessed boy. And at this point we're just in the growing bigger stage.

I can't seem to drink enough milk or eat enough cheese. Last night I craved fish (particularly smoked salmon, which is off limits, but still sounded so good). I'm starting to really show which is nice. And I'm still waiting for movement or a kick. The sonographer said she was moving like crazy - and we could see some of it - but so far I haven't felt anything.

The name will still be a surprise. And I'm looking forward to hearing all the guesses on due dates. Friends are already planning baby showers and mommy-pampering showers.

And I've told my boss and I'm so, so lucky to be working where I am. Libraries are usually more family-friendly than other places to work, but she was so excited for me (even though I haven't worked there that long) and she's going to work with me about scheduling and maternity leave so I don't feel rushed back to work or anything like that. All in all, it's been a pretty good week. Except for a few hormonal outbreaks of emotion. Which I presume is normal.

Anyway, that's the update. I am so excited for this second half of pregnancy. It's finally starting to really sink in that I'm going to be a mom. I just hope I do a good job.

No comments: