Thursday, July 28, 2011

July Closing Post

Summer, it's winding down: school starts in two-three weeks, summer library programs are ending, my vacation is over. I'm ready for fall, to be honest, and not just because being pregnant in 111 degree temperatures is unpleasant. But it is my favorite season.

So let's see....some things that have happened:

1) South Dakota vacation! - Let's face it, it was awesome. My niece Alyssa tagged along, which gave us an extra driver and conversational partner. The first day we took it easy driving and then saw the Buffalo Bill Ranch in North Platte, Nebraska. It was closed due to flooding, but we walked around a bit and then we saw the Golden Spike where the Transcontinental Railroads met. My sister and her fiance and their boys, my dad and stepmom, and the three of us had a nice meet-up and the new future grandparents started with the spoiling: the little Grandavocado got some outfits and a cute toy. We all went to dinner. It was great.

Day two was spent driving and then we got into South Dakota and unpacked the car. We all saw Grandma Regan, which was great because she just looks so much better than she did and was doing so well. The evening was spend relaxing together at the cabins.

Day three was a free day: we all split up and saw different things. Nick, Alyssa, and I drove through Custer State Park, did some hiking, and saw a herd of bison up close and personal - close enough to touch. Then we spend the afternoon at the lake with relatives and I floated around a cool, clear lake on an inner tube.

Day four we spent the day in Spearfish Canyon, hiking up to Roughlock Falls. We had lunch with Grandma and the rest of the relatives - almost everyone - at the Latchstring Inn. Then we became tourists and walked a bit around Deadwood.

Day five was wonderful - it started out at about 50 degrees (we needed sweatshirts) and spend the day at the park, walking in freezing cold water and watching the kids build a dam, go tubing down the creek, and throwing rocks. Grandma managed to spend quite a bit of time there with everyone - it was the true family reunion day.

We spent the last day just hanging out together, relaxing, and talking. Quite frankly, everything went too fast. We spent Monday driving all day which was terribly exhausting.

So there - a not so quick rundown (not that anyone reads this anymore anyway...)

I had a doctor's appointment today and scheduled the diagnostic ultrasound. Heard the grandfruit's heartbeat. Everything is healthy for me and for the fruit. We'll know in two weeks how the growth is going, and hopefully find out the sex. The gambling going on should subside until we get to the due date countdown. Ha!

3 comments:

KU Mommy said...

I still read, by the way... And this is a lovely update!

Kathleen said...

You are clearly my only true friend then :-) lol. I have noticed a remarkable drop-off since I stopped or avoided "controversial" topics. Perhaps I should post something absolutely insane about how mothers who feed their babies formula are clearly Satanic and child-abusing. That might get some comments.

Anonymous said...

hee hee. I read it too! I just dont always respond.

Sara