Thursday, February 05, 2009

First February Post

So I'm basically blogging for the sake of blogging. I'm actually at school, wasting some time before I go to an interview. Amazingly, I am not at all nervous about this interview, mainly because to get nervous would be to get my hopes up and I don't want to do that. It's not a fantastic position, but it looks interesting, different, somewhat challenging, and I'd be working at school, so that's good. I'm also hoping it will pay more than my other jobs, but who really knows?

My storytelling class went really well today - I actually managed to tell the story I picked out without ruining it, and my professor (who is a professional storyteller) actually complimented me - he only did that after certain ones (although he complimented everyone at the end of class of course!). I think this class might really help me with my public speaking skills and it's one of the few times in my life I can remember being excited about getting up in front of people and talking. I just get all tongue-tied. I'm hoping to attend a workshop this weekend that's being taught by a Native American storyteller. At the very least, I'm planning on going to his performance, so it should be a busy/fun weekend. Classes this semester are actually a lot of fun. I'm only slightly behind in my educational psychology course because of my work schedule, but I should be able to make it up this weekend. And my other classes are so interesting and almost fun that it's hardly difficult to stay on track because I want to - which proves that good teaching and making subject interesting/exciting, really works!

I am quite exhausted this week and very excited to be done with it and get on to next week - when Nick visits!!! It's been more than a month since we got to spend any time together and that totally sucks. Plus, by next week, I will hopefully have all of my taxes finished and my financial aid forms in so I can breathe some relief about that.
In other news, Justice Ginsberg was hospitalized today for cancer. Kind of scary. I'm interested in the whole supreme court dynamic now that we have a Democrat as president and more Democrats in office in general. I'm not as scared as I was when I thought that Bush would be appointing another Justice if one died or retired. I realize that technically, judges don't (or aren't supposed to) have political leanings, they're supposed to be impartial. But it's good to know that politicians ARE and can appoint judges who can interpret the laws differently. And yes, I do mean interpret, NOT create.

Also, they found out that "Dr.Death" one of those escaped Nazi war criminals is dead - did anyone read about this in the New York Times? Pretty interesting story. And while reading it, I was off on a tangent in my head - because they mentioned in the article that they never caught Dr. Mengele, which is interesting, because I thought they did...

So that's all for now. Have an interview to go to, so wish me luck!

2 comments:

Mimi said...

Hope your interview goes well! That workshop sounds really interesting. I wish there was more stuff like that around here. Or maybe there is and I just don't know about it. Oh and will you save some stuff from your educational psychology class. I am pretty sure I will have to take a class like that eventually and it would be nice to actually be prepared for once.

That's sad about Justice Ginsberg. I agree that the dynamic of the supreme court is interesting and I am glad that any new appointees will probably lean left. Though I think I read that any likely retirees during Obama's administration will be the democratic ones anyway so the balance will probably not change. But still that is much better than it being heavily republican.

KU Mommy said...

I think your storytelling class sounds AWESOME! But, what do you mean that you don't like public speaking?, you were an ACTRESS in high school... and a singer.

Also... it is late... hope your interview went well!!