Monday, June 01, 2009

Tiller Murdered

I'm not even sure what to talk about today. I wanted to bring up the Tiller murder, but I think I'm still in a state of shock and mourning. He's helped so many women. I'm just heartsick - especially being murdered in church! I can't imagine what his wife went through. And I've been reading anti-choice blogs and it's amazing how the people who comment on them are more concerned with how this is going to reflect on them ; talking about how he can't be a Christian because he provided abortions; when was is that people became so certain about how god would judge people?

And then I started thinking about why the people who are virulently anti-choice are so worried - it's possibly because they know that by creating an environment where there is no debate, no discussion, no open minds - the "all people who are pro-choice are just baby-haters, and baby-killers and are going to roast in hell" type of conversation leads to crazy people using that language to justify murdering someone, or bombing clinics, or committing acts of violence. I haven't seen a lot of people posting about how he deserved it, but there have been enough. And while I don't really get into conspiracy theories (even though it's fun) I do have to wonder why it is that 'Tiller Watch' a section of Operation Rescue's website was suddenly unavailable....

And of course, according to Mr. Leach of the anti-choice Prayer and Action Newsletter, there is "Christian scripture that would support this." (NY Times 6/1/09). I know that's probably true - but it makes me sadder, because I am sure a lot of Christians would disagree and totally condemn it. I think this has started a whole wave of attention on a whole range of things.

I don't know. I have so much other stuff to worry about and think about and get done - but I knew I had to post something.

So I'll be thinking of Dr. Tiller today, the women he helped, the women who won't be getting his help, and his family today while I go about my business...Sad day.

1 comment:

Ramee said...

Yes I do think some of the condemnation from the anti-abortion people is just concern for how this is going to reflect on them, though I do think there are many who also very sincere.

This horrible murder certainly doesn't help their cause though, because it is just going to make pro-choice peoples angry and less likely to listen to an opposing viewpoint. Of course some of them may not mind that, so they have something to illustrate their point that we who are pro-choice are all frothing at the mouth baby-killers.

My hopes though, are that a good discussion can get going of just what it was that Dr. Tiller did for women. He didn't just provide late-term abortion callously as some would like everyone to believe. He helped women through a difficult choice that they made because their baby would not have a sustainable life or the woman herself could not survive delivery. And now that choice has been made that much more difficult.