Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Trip Highlights

Well, I returned from Andale on Monday. I am still tired from the drive and still blue from having to leave after a too-fast vacation with my family and Nick. I miss my family; it is finally feeling like we're more normal since the divorce. Plus, Nick will be leaving from Wichita (he stayed) to fly to Berlin on Friday (I don't get to see him for almost 3 weeks) so I'm missing him right now. I figured one of the better ways of cheering me up is to update my blog a bit. So here are a few highlights of my trip:

1) Going to the zoo with Dalton and spending at least 10 minutes watching the hippos. Dalton wanted to feed them one of his cookies, which was sweet, but I informed him that it would probably hurt the hippos. And he didn't want to do that.

2) Going on my niece Taylor's second-grade field trip: we went to the Warrne Old Town for a tour of the kitchen and projection rooms, then we got to see the movie Happily N'Ever After, eat popcorn at 9:30 in the morning and then go to North Rock Lanes where a bunch of second graders kicked my butt at bowling and eating pizza. Riding home from the field trip and having Taylor's teacher (who was also MY second grade teacher 18 years ago!) come over and saying hi, thanking me for coming, and saying she remembered me.

3) Hanging out with my friends from grad school and just talking about old times, professors, what they're doing now, and in general having a good time.

4) Actually being able to kiss my nephew, who is now 11, goodnight. I am a girl, I have cooties, and kissing is gross. Granted, he was zoned out on his X-Box game but still...I got one in.

5) My dad showing me all he's done to the house: new carpet, floors, furniture, etc. He was so excited, like a little boy with a new toy, and it's nice to see my dad happy and excited.

6) Finally meeting Jackie's new boyfriend and his two boys, all three of whom are adorable. I only wish they could have stayed longer so we could talk.

7) Playing volleyball with all the kids and Nick (who sucks worse than me). The barbecue for my niece Alyssa's 14th birthday and her 8th grade graduation. Good food, fun times, a chance to hang out with great people.

8) Finding out my future nephew's name - Charlene is 7 weeks until due date. And no, I'm NOT telling!

9) Looking at old pics of my mom, Alyssa, and Dad. Tears in my eyes cause I miss her so much and can't believe Alyssa is already 14. Trying to hide tears, not succeeding very well, and finding out that Kent has tears too. Tear!

10) In general, spending time with family, feeling like I'm a part of it again. Seeing friends, feeling motivated to figure out what I want to do with my life and take steps to do it. Spending time with my nieces and nephews: Alyssa, Kaylin, Colin, Taylor, Dalton.

Well, anyway, I know these kinds of posts aren't controversial or anything, but I figured this is at least an interesting update.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a very busy trip...guess I won't harrass you about not getting to make the cut then. Plus Alyssa is not 14 and starting H.S.!?!?

Sara Bishop said...

yeah, i've been wondering where you've been. :-) I'm glad you had a good time. And congrats on the soon to be nephew! Poor Taylor is hopelessly outnumbered.

Kathleen said...

Yes. She said as much; she was hoping for a girl. But of course, they're all happy if he's healthy and all that. And I know! Alyssa really is starting high school and 14.

Anonymous said...

I love your family. I can't believe you and Nick were in town this weekend! So was I. Although it sounds like you're were swamped with business and I was too. I had to move Dean back from Texas and then see all my family. But still, if I had known you were there I would have called you to go out with us on Sunday...

Kathleen said...

Ahh, missed chances. Missed opportunities. I guess we'll always have Andale High and lately, Lee's Summit, MO.