Friday, September 01, 2006

Something that will annoy people and may get me shot

Okay, this list was one I thought quite hilarious. So far, things are going good here. My dad sold my car and so I will be getting some money to go into a savings account soon - I always feel better when I have some money in savings, just in case. My niece liked her birthday present. My dad is retiring and sounds so excited about it and healthier..probably from that stressful weight of working for Stonhard lifting. I have actually gotten some notes done for my thesis - nothing substantial yet, but at least it is progress. And people have complimented my for defending my viewpoints about certain sticky issues, which I like because even if they do or don't agree with me, at least they're open-minded enough to say, yeah she has a point or at least maybe, yeah, she's defending her ideas in a good way, not in some fanatical, anti-science, anti-religion, etc. way. Okay, the list. While I thought it was funny, and had some points, others won't. I am not meaning to offend, but some people may see it as anti-religious.


Top Ten Signs You're a Fundamentalist Christian

Date: 2006-06-02, 1:10PM MST



10 - You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.

9 - You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.

8 - You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Triune God.

7 - Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women, children, and trees!

6 - You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.

5 - You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.

4 - You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs -- though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."

3 - While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.

2 - You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.

1 - You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history - but still call yourself a Christian.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, I am going to ramble a little bit in your blog as I have no space of my own, and I hope you don't mind (and it is related to this post).

I sort of feel like religion is getting a bad image and can't help but be a little bothered by that. Now I am by no means religious myself, but I can respect those that are, as long as they respect me back. But all we ever hear about are those that take it to the extreme, the fundamentalists, and I guess it is because thet make for a better story. Not all Christians (just for example since they are who we are talking about)are going around forcing their bliefs on everyone else telling them they will go to hell if they think differently, and yet because of these peole Christianity in itself is getting a bad wrap. Just saying you are a Christian can make people uncomfortable, and others worry that the fundamentalists are taking over the country, but are they? Or are they just the most vocal and so they are the only ones getting heard?

Anyway, I am sorry for hijacking your blog, but I was just thinking and wondered what you thought as well.

Kathleen said...

well, that is why the title is how to know you are a fundamentalist christian...i get your point

Anonymous said...

Oh I know that. I was just having some thoughts and wanted to get them out. It is always the crazies that ruin things for everyone else, and not just with regards to religion.

Anonymous said...

Well, I got a good couple of chuckles out of that. I see both you and Ramee's points, and can understand both. Gotta run for the rest of the day. Right now it's all about school, homework and what's due when, so see ya!