Monday, September 12, 2011

Paranoia and Book Banning

I got all paranoid today that maybe I was talking too much about pregnancy, parenting, and all that. I never wanted to be THAT woman who can't shut up about herself. Obviously, because I'm talking about it now I'm failing again. But I swear, this post won't all be about the pregnancy, because other than the fact that I'm now craving Cheetos and root beer (caffeine free, made with real sugar, what's not to love?) there really isn't anything new. Well, except that I feel HUGE. That I'm feeling her kick a lot and I think she's learning to kick my bladder, ON PURPOSE, so that I have to get out of bed more often at night. But there really isn't anything new, so I'll settle for talking about all the little things I'm experiencing with the bestie or the husband and go on for now.

We're getting ready for Banned Books week here at the library. I've already started working on the list of kids books to display - the ones that have been challenged. And I realized that maybe my faithful readers (reader?) might like to see some of the ones on the list that people have challenged. Many have been the attempts of banning in schools not public libraries, but there's a fair number that have been challenged in general and I am always surprised because I've never actually had anyone come up to me and complain, even though I try to be prepared for something like that (I live in Kansas, after all). So, here's the list I have (it is by no means complete, I'm just choosing five random titles):

1)Adventures of Huckleberry Finn: Mark Twain
2)The Lorax: Dr. Seuss
3)A Light in the Attic: Shel Silverstein
4)Harry Potter: J.K. Rowling
5)A Wrinkle in Time: Madeleine L'Engele

So, new post...light on the pregnancy stuff. Better or no?

No comments: