Monday, March 22, 2010

Getting In Shape: The Saga: Part 3

Well, I've been doing well. I've decided that my new goal for the next month and a half is to work up to running 30 minutes straight. That's probably about 3 miles, maybe 4, depending on pace and all. So, I'm starting with intervals. Today, I walked 4 minutes and then ran, fairly slowly, but not a jog, for 2 minutes. I did this 5 times. Since N and I are going the PLA in Oregon this week, my workouts will only be two days this week, not including all the walking we'll do in the city while being tourists.

I've been eating healthy, and really enjoyed my Saturday, I can eat whatever I want day. I didn't go too crazy, but I did have ice cream after dinner: a small chocolate cone, and popcorn at the movies. Since I'm off soda, I don't think my calories were too high. I also took the two days off from major exercise; Saturday, because of the snow, and Sunday, because I worked at the children's desk.

Was majorly distracted last night watching the health care reform debate and reading blogs: I like to read the right-wing conservative, anti-choice, etc. blogs when major progressive things come up to watch the freak outs and thank my lucky stars that the internet is fairly anonymous. I don't comment or anything, but if I did, I'd be extremely glad. Some of those people seem dangerously unstable.

This is going to be a busy week, and end of the month, so I wanted to make sure I posted something recent. Hopefully you faithful readers won't miss me TOO much :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Health care reform might be the end of the world as we know it...and not in a fun way like the song but in a dark and ominous way. Well, that might be somewhat melodramatic but I do think it totally blows. Not the whole thing, mind you, there are good aspects of it, but for the most part, I am not all about it. Kay

Mimi said...

I guess the problem lies in that I don't see what was so great about that world.

Kathleen said...

Kay,
I know - you're more conservative than I am. I guess I don't see the problem in making sure people have healthcare. If it were up to me, I'd be backing the public option, but I just don't think America has progressed that far. The problem I see is that those who oppose health care reform are usually against it not based on what IS in the bill, but what ISN'T - funding abortion, "death panels", the govt. takeover of healthcare.

Kathleen said...

Stepping back from the rhetoric a little, I think the base of the disagreement with people is that some believe that healthcare is a fundamental right - the Constitution says for the "welfare" of the nation/the people. To me, that means healthcare is in, and I'm all for a public option to compete with a private option. Others don't think that way - they think of healthcare as a privilege. As long as I remember that, I can talk with people who disagree - well, when they aren't throwing bricks, calling out names, and threatening violence. Yikes!