Monday, May 04, 2009

Sometimes I'm Right

I'm signed up for a ListServ to bring me news from the intellectual freedom group in ALA. There's an actual name for it that escapes me at the moment. At any rate, every day I get news articles sent to my inbox of books that people want taken out of libraries or put in a different section, etc. Since we talk a lot about this in many of my classes, and since I'll be working as a librarian fairly soon, I think it's good to know what books cause people to get angry (almost all of them, depending on the people involved) and how to address that. But this particular challenge is kind of unique so I thought I'd post it. Many of the people who challenge books do so for a religious reason - their particular religious reason - and usually they're just sort of surprised at the placement of a certain book. But in my head I have a lot of trouble dividing the concerned people (who just want to be taken seriously and be listened to) and the people who, in my opinion, would have been far happier being alive during Hitler's book burning parties, or the Dark Ages, or some thing like that. I usually talk myself out of thinking that way. But this morning - I got THIS in my inbox.
Sometimes, I'm right.

Publication: APD - West Bend Daily News;
Date: May 2, 2009;
Section: Front Page;
Page: A1

Christian rights group joins library fray
Suit by Milwaukee chapter singles out ‘Baby BeBop’ for complaint
By DWAYNE BUTLER Daily News Staff

The Milwaukee branch of the Christian Civil Liberties Union (CCLU) has filed a legal claim that says a book that is available in the West Bend Community Memorial Library is offensive.

Robert C. Braun of West Allis, Joseph Kogelmann of Milwaukee, Robert Brough of West Bend and the Rev. Cleveland Eden of Milwaukee, representing the Milwaukeebased group, filed the claim with the city of West Bend clerk's office.

Named in the claim are the city of West Bend, Mayor Kristine Deiss, the West Bend Library Board and Library Director Michael Tyree. The group is seeking $30,000 per plaintiff, Deiss’ resignation and a racist book be removed and publicly burned or destroyed as a deterrent to repeating the offensive conduct, the claim states.

Pursuant to section 893.80 of the Wisconsin state statutes, the claim says the Library is engaged in having books on display that the plaintiffs consider to be obscene or racial in content and promote violence. The plaintiffs question why a taxpayer funded library makes literature available that has damaged the plaintiffs, the claim states.

The book in question is “Baby Be-Bop,” by Francesca Lia Block, and should be removed from the Library, which is in the vicinity of a school, the claim states. It describes the book as being “explicitly vulgar, racial (sic) and anti-Christian.”

The plaintiffs, all of whom are elderly, say their mental and emotional well-being were damaged by the book at the Library, the claim states.

In the claim, they cite Wisconsin’s sexual morality law. Under the law, obscene material is a publication or recording that:
“The average person, applying community standards, would find appeals to the prurient interest if taken as a whole.”
“Under contemporary com- munity standards, describes or shows sexual conduct in a patently offensive way.”
“Lacks serious literary, artistic, political, educational or scientific value, if taken as a whole.”

The claim states that specific words used in the book are derogatory and slanderous to all males, and dangerously offensive and disrespectful to all people. The claim says the words can permeate violence, and puts one's life in possible jeopardy, adults and children alike.

The plaintiffs have also requested in the claim that West Bend City Attorney Mary Shanning could commission a grand jury to investigate whether the book should be declared obscene and inappropriate since it uses racial language that offends the plaintiffs' Christian beliefs.

The plaintiffs believe the book should be kept out of the Library and constitutes a hate crime, and they feel the book is inappropriate for the elderly and their minor grandchildren, and degrades the community, the claim states.

“We don't want it put in a section for adults,” said Braun, who is the president of the CCLU branch. “We're saying its inappropriate to have it in the library, and we want it out or destroyed.”

Assistant City Attorney/Director of Human Resources Warren Kraft said Friday the claim has been referred to Tyree and the Library Board for their review. Because the claim involves a financial request, Kraft said the city's insurance carrier has received a copy of the claim. He said the carrier will evaluate the claim and conduct an investigation into its circumstances and then make a recommendation to the city whether to allow or disallow all or part of the claim.

8 comments:

Ramee said...

How about instead of filing lawsuits and costing their town money they just, I don't know, not read the book? And inform others about why they find the book so offensive without infriging on the rights of someone else who might disagree.

I had never heard of the book in this article, but after looking it up I have to say that those who filed the suit aren't its intended audience anyway. Besides anything thought provoking is bound to be offensive to someone.

Kathleen said...

Yes but those are both rational and reasonable responses -ones that people who don't find certain things offensive would say! I thought it was really interesting that they think the book should be publicly burned. I mean, I've read a lot of articles similar to this and most of the time the people involved just want the book moved to another section of the library or taken off shelves altogether. It's rare - and I don't think I've heard about it before this - to want to publicly burn a book. But I guess that's kind of something you expect from people who are religious AND can't see anyone else's point of view.

Ramee said...

I am pretty sure that I have heard of instances where Harry Potter was burned, but don't remember any of the specifics. But yeah, wanting to burn books just makes people think of Nazi Germany and isn't that supposed to be a bad thing?

Sara Bishop said...

I dont know about anyone else, but when I hear things are being protested, then I want to read/see them. Like Dogma. I didnt really care about it until I saw that people were protesting it. And now I love it. :-)

Kathleen said...

I've read other books by the same author - and anything that could be offensive is also very important to plot - you can't really take it out of context. Which is often what people do - they find some word they think shouldn't be in there, or some behavior...and pull it out and say - how can you let kids read this? Never mind that it might have a lot to do with the paragraph and chapter and plot - it's a whole context thing.
And yes, Sara, we talk about that a lot in class. Anytime people start wanting to ban things or protest things, that's when I want to run out and do exactly what they're telling me I shouldn't.

Ramee said...

I am the same way, but only if the thing being protested also sounds interesting. Which this book kind of does. I think maybe they are offended because it has "The Gay" in it? How did you like the other books by the author?

Sara Bishop said...

Well, I didnt know it had the gay in it. I wouldnt want my old folks reading that sort of trash either.

Kathleen said...

Sara, you're hilarious. I just did a whole project - okay, a poster presentation - on the demographics behind the people who challenge books or want to ban them. Very interesting (though not surprising).