Wednesday, October 24, 2007

My Day Off

I finally had a day off. Between my two jobs, I haven't had a day off in three weeks. Today, I got up at 8:15. That's like totally extra sleep! I went downtown and got a bunch of new books from the library. I got a great coffee at my favorite coffee place and then got to have lunch with my amazing boyfriend at one of my favorite Italian places. I also got rid of almost all of my tension and knots (I get really bad knots in my shoulders and back) from a full-body, 75 minute hot-stone massage (using up some of my gift certificate so it was free!) and went shopping. I got everything I needed and a few things I didn't on sale at Kohl's. It was a great day off and I am so refreshed and ready for tomorrow's workday. Sadly, I didn't get the job I interviewed for; but it was at a bank, and I don't know if they really wanted a historian working there. Anyway, a parallel discussion from Kristi's blog has turned into an interest of mine: religiousness and morality - what makes them different? How do you separate your morality from your religion? What about agnostics and atheists and their morality? What make religion so moral, if it is? And etc. Those are just a few; feel free to meander the discussion along - Kristi, your blog gives me ideas. Thank you.

2 comments:

KU Mommy said...

You're welcome! Sometimes other blogs are the best places for new blog ideas.

Personally, I don't think religiousity and morality necessarily go hand in hand. They can... but there are plenty of religions out there that don't support all moral things. And there's also plenty of non-religious people who are very moral.

Kathleen said...

Well, yes that's what I meant. Although again, morality is one of those things that's sort of a grey area. Like, some people think some things are moral, but another person would think that was an incredibly immoral thing. Like, spanking children for example. There's really no yardstick to what is moral and what's not. Even in things that most people think they agree with - like murder and killing. I mean, how many movies are there where the audience is like, YAY! when somebody goes after the person who killed some kid or something. Vigilante justice probably isn't "moral," but it's satisfying on a deeper level, like a built-in justice-o-meter or something. So morality is a really interesting topic; and again thanks for the ideas on your blog.