Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Freaks and Fans

Nick and I scored tickets to the newest Harry Potter movie last night...midnight showing. The movie was great - there were obviously some things missing that well, we wished they could have put in, but otherwise really good. Other Harry Potter fans though are FREAKS! I hate to be judgmental, as I remember being a Trekkie "geek" and wouldn't have wanted to be called a freak, but still....some guy was wearing a Hermione wig. This made it rather hard for me to see over him. He was with this girl - a don't know if they were dating-who had the most annoying laugh EVER!!!!! And she laughed at almost everything. It was easy to see she was excited about the movie, but she definitely dimmed my excitement when she went on and one about having to make sure she left the theatre at EXACTLY 11:25 to get popcorn and go to the bathroom. And then once the movie started she giggled. When there was something even remotely funny (I'm talking a witty line here that was meant to get a small chuckle) she laughed in this HUGE, annoying way, reminding me of Anita Shin from the original movie version of The Music Man. I kept waiting for an Egads! to come out! Finally, when I'd missed like the third line in what felt like the same number of minutes I Shushed her and that helped. But we still missed lines, and I can't wait to be able to rent or buy our own copy so we can hear them and enjoy it. I'm a fan of Harry Potter - why else would I go to a midnight showing - but some of the others are just WEIRD!!! Other than that, the people were quiet which is rather weird for Nick and I to experience. We're tired today, and I have to close at work tonight, but it was worth it. I'm still looking forward to the book more though. Also, I want everyone out there reading this to keep your fingers crossed and hope that I get one of these awesome jobs at the university I keep applying for - the librarian assistant one is my favorite, but I'd even settle for being a secretary if it meant I'd get a real salary, benefits, and not have to nanny anymore - I LOVE the kids, but I'm a little annoyed at being jerked around by mom. Well, that's all.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to go see Harry Potter this Friday because Beth wants to go even though I don't like Harry Potter and I've only seen like one of the other movies and I've never read any of the books. Oh, well, I'm sure I won't hate it...I just won't love it.

Good luck on getting a job! A real job with benefits would be nice... especially if you had weekends free and I could come visit you and you could go shopping with me!

Kathleen said...

How can you NOT like Harry Potter?!!!! You need to read the books at least, they're becoming or perhaps already are, children's classics.

Anonymous said...

I just never got into it. And I'm sure I would love the books if I ever read them but I just can't quite make myself pick one up. Then I would get all involved in the series and I'd have to read them all and it would be this big thing. So I suppose it's less a case of I don't like Harry Potter as it is just, I'm too lazy to get started in the process that would cause me to fall in love with Harry Potter

Kathleen said...

Hehehe, lazy Kay. I requested off for that weekend by the way. Will find out on Sat. if I get it off. Shouldn't be a problem.

Anonymous said...

I saw the movie last night, and there weren't any freaky fans in my audience. Just some guy nearby who I think fell asleep, because every time the scene was really quiet I could hear someone snoring. Other then that I did really like the movie (there were only a couple things I really missed, which is a definite improvement over some of the other movies), and the book will be out in only a little over a week!

Good luck with finding a better job. Hope you get the one you want!

KU Mommy said...

To Kay:

I started the series back in college because I had to read the first one for my children's lit class I think. I liked it enough to read the second (or at least part of it)... but I just sorta stopped after that. So perhaps you would not have to get addicted if you started it. It didn't suck me in like I thought it would.

Anonymous said...

well, I did see the movie, and it was fine as far as random entertaining movies go. But since I didn't fully know what in the heck was going on, it wasn't great.