Tuesday, November 07, 2006

WAHOO!!!

Yes! I am so excited! I know that the Democrat Controlled House and Senate (well, after recounts) won't make immediate changes but I am so excited to now that I voted and voter turnout was up (at least here) and we all want change. Some kind of change - whether in Iraq, or about stem cell research (way to go Missouri!) or abortion or whatever. Democrats have, to me at least, proven that they are the party of the people - the people wanted them. Even Jim Ryun in Kansas lost. And now the first woman Speaker of the House! Can you hear my heart racing with excitement! Okay anyway. Good job voters, even those of you who voted against the Dems, voting is awesome.


I know some of my readers will disagree with my enthusiasm. But, I just can't help it. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! South Dakota has repealed the abortion ban! They repealed it! They repealed it! Women will remain in control.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE November 7, 2006
South Dakotans Stand Up for Freedom and Privacy, Repeal Divisive Abortion Ban

Vote in conservative stronghold a major defeat for anti-choice groups

Washington, DC –Nancy Keenan, president of NARAL Pro-Choice America, and Casey Murschel, executive director of NARAL Pro-Choice South Dakota, praised South Dakota voters' rejection of Referred Law 6, a near total ban on abortion.

"Tonight's victory belongs to the people of South Dakota who fought back against this political intrusion into personal, private decisions," Keenan said. "South Dakotans reaffirmed that the right to choose should be between a woman, her doctor, her family, and her God—not legislators or Gov. Mike Rounds. This result is a triumph for the fundamental values of freedom and privacy over divisive attacks against a woman's right to choose. This is a wake-up call to lawmakers in other states that America's pro-choice majority will not allow an assault on Roe v. Wade to go unanswered."

Murschel, a Republican legislator who led opposition to the ban, said, "Now, it is time for the same South Dakotans—Republicans, Democrats, and Independents—who defeated this ban to call on legislators and the governor to end these attacks and unify behind commonsense ways to prevent unintended pregnancy and reduce the need for abortion, without threatening women's health or jeopardizing access to safe, legal abortion."

The victory in South Dakota represents part of NARAL Pro-Choice America's comprehensive $2.5 million political program that contributed to this ballot measure in South Dakota and congressional races across the country. NARAL Pro-Choice America joined its state affiliate, NARAL Pro-Choice South Dakota as early leaders in a state-based coalition formed to fight this ban, providing significant financial and organizational resources and mobilizing a network of nearly 1,000 activists in the state. Further, NARAL Pro-Choice South Dakota invited Keenan to the state, where she met with pro-choice leaders and offered considerable support early on in the effort to place this measure on the ballot.

Contact:
Ted Miller, 202.973.3032

7 comments:

Kathleen said...

First comment is mine: I meant that women will remain in control of their own bodily decisions, not in control of the world or something. Sorry for any confusion.

Anonymous said...

It's like Christmas today, isn't it? Creepy Phil Kline lost as well which is what I was really hoping for. And I for one was happy that South Dakota voted against the ban so you have at least one person on your side.

By the way, have you heard of the movie/musical 1776? If not, rent it immediately! It is about the first Congress in the days leading up to declaring our independence from the Brits AND has singing and dancing. I don't think there has ever been anything more wonderful ever. You must see it.

Kathleen said...

Ramee, Well, I'm glad someone else was happy about it. I heard about Phil Kline = that's freaking awesome. And I'll rent it this weekend - Nick has some weird feelings about musicals though.

Anonymous said...

I did not vote because, as I often say, is: The only thing worst than not voting is voting when you don't know the issues/candidates, etc. I could have got an absente ballot for Kansas but what would be the point, I haven't heard any of the issues because that would require actual work and research rather than just turning on my TV or glancing at the newspaper. And, let's face it, even when it's that easy I don't typical pay much attention

Anonymous said...

I must offer my own sadness at the news that SD repealed the abortion ban because, as you know, I am wholly against abortion. I don't call myself pro-life because that would imply I have a political stance, when really my opinion is completely emotionally and spiritually based. And let's face it, we're talking about life and death, why shouldn't it be emotional rather than political.

Anonymous said...

I am happy with the repeal also. I don't feel that the government should have the right to force women to carry out a pregnancy. It's a personal decision, what is right for one, may not be right for another...lots of extra issues apply to this and I have not always thought the way I do now. Age, experience and education have pointed me in that direction. J.A.K.

Anonymous said...

I don't think the government has the right to make motercyclists wear helmets and yet, in most states, they do. Isn't the whole point of having a government so they can make laws to keep a civilized society and for the protection of humankind. If we didn't have these laws, what would the world come to. I think motorcyclists should wear helmets and women shouldn't kill unborn children. But people don't always do what they should, so we have laws. Unfortunately, we don't always have laws concerning those two particular issues. Which is a shame.