Friday, October 20, 2006

Friendship

I was thinking for the past couple of days about my group of friends from high school. Occasionally, we've talked about the so-called "popular crowd," who I think we all agreed were really only popular in their heads - really they were the party clique, the snobby clique, what have you. I think if any one in our group was popular it was Nathan B. Felix. He was truly universally liked. So kudos to you, Fe, cause you deserved it. But I was wondering a bit today why it is I am so much closer to certain friends from High School than others. Doubtless, some of it has to do with personality, sense of humor, shared characteristics, etc. But I have noticed that while I was close to a lot of these friends - at least I considered us close - in High School, I have become closer to some and have moved farther away from others. Do any of you find yourselves wondering what differences between your friends came between you? In response to an email I sent yesterday to a friend whom I considered myself to be close to in high school I have been thinking of these things even more. I had attempted to try to open up a discussion and re-forge some closeness. It didn't happen, perhaps because it can't happen anymore, or because I or that other person has changed too much to allow us to open up discussion and become close again. I know why I pulled away, but I do not know if I did anything to this person to make them pull away. In any case, I was disappointed that my attempt failed and that it was mistaken for something else. This is my fault, perhaps, because of what I wrote - how I wrote it, more precisely. Anyway, I would like some thoughts on this subject. Which friends are you still close to? Why? What changed? How have you changed? How have they changed?
On another note. I have been thinking as well that I have really focused a lot on abortion and religion.This is in response as well, to an old friend. But I would really like to get your input on some topics about me that all of you may be interested in hearing.

One and all, religions have their original prophets, their sacred books, their traditions of ages gone. One and all require us to accept without question what other people long dead have said or written; to obey without question the commands of those behind us.... No matter what the belief, if it had modestly said, "This is our best thought, go on, think farther!" then we could have smoothly outgrown our early errors and long since have developed a religion such as would have kept pace with an advancing world. But we were made to believe and not allowed to think. We were told to obey, rather than to experiment and investigate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lately I've been thinking on the similar issues...when I have a moment to think anyhow, but to keep my thoughts down to a simmer, I'll just go with the ones that you requested on the subject at hand. Really I don't think I'm super close with all that many. I still on occassion talk to whomever I happen to run into that I felt I was friends with, but Matt (obviously) is the only one from our grade I'm close to... Otherwise, Melanie is the other. Hmm, probably that we weren't as close of friends as I thought. I'm sure I am not blameless in the matter. I guess once Zach died I really didn't feel part of that crowd anymore. The tie had already been loosened when I stopped seeing Brent, but his passing was the camel there I think. With Jana that in my mind goes back to the day of her wedding. Everyone else, I just can't say why. It hurts though some of the realizations that come with growing older. I'm sure both parties have changed. Being on the inner side of the looking glass, I can't say objectively how I have and not being close to the others I have no knowledge of how they have; so stalemate there 'suppose. As for inquires, perhaps just the broad of how goes life in Iowa? Golly, I'd feel totally like a heel if it isn't Iowa... Anyhows...