Sunday, August 20, 2006

Birthdays and Such

Well, it's coming time for my dad's birthday; my niece's birthday, and in a few weeks..my birthday. I find it rather sad that celebrating birthdays goes out of style once you hit a certain age - unless you are hitting a certain age: 21,30, 40, 50, 90..What happens to those in between ages-I'd much rather celebrate a birthday at 36 than 40 - it's 4 years younger! But then, I happen to be a big fan of celebrating birthdays, spoiling people with cake, presents, or if not the traditional childhood things like cake and ice cream, streamers, presents, at least an adult dinner party, or a romantic party for two to celebrate. So few are the times when a person is spoiled just for being. I can only think of one occasion - a birthday! How nice it is just to wake up and know that one that day, people will be thinking of you - your parents (remember when he was born? )thoughts like these inspire a call, a card, a smile - well, hopefully! your siblings (man, I wish she hadn't been born! Well, maybe not ALL siblings!)your girlfriend (I am so lucky he was born!) All you have to do is just be - just have those connections-just being you is enough to celebrate. I hope.

3 comments:

Bishniak said...

I agree with you on this. I love being spoiled on my birthday. I've always been made to fee special on that day, even though I've shared it my entire life :). This next one coming kinda scares me (being 30 and all, no longer a kid, no longer able to use the "well you're just starting" out excuse, etc. I'll blog about that later) so I'm hoping to have a fun one to help me ease into that "decade" appreciation birthday.

Anonymous said...

Trust me, turning 36 is nothing that wonderful. I've done it once, and don't want to do it again!!! I don't really recall being spoiled a lot on birthdays, at least not every year. There were a couple that stick out though. Mom made me a doll cake the year I turned 9. The party was outside, and I got stung by a wasp. Definitely memorable. And I planned my own 13th birthday, because I was sure that parents had forgotten it, what with a new sibling born just a few weeks before that. Crazy thing thought she had to get out of the oven 6 weeks early, so life was pretty focused on everything EXCEPT my first TEEN birthday. HAHAHA, there are a few others, but those two really stick out. Anyone else have any bday memories they wanna share??

Kathleen said...

Okay, so some people have some bitter memories. Sometimes people don't have the parties, but have at least the thoughts. That's good too..right? I don't really remember many birthdays: umm..my Sweet Seventeen one comes to mind, because for some reason I didn't have a party for my 16th and my friend Amber Witt thought that was sad and threw me a "surprise" sweet 17 to make up for it.