Sunday, July 09, 2006

Embarassment

I can never seem to come up with a catchy, creative title to my blog. I think after years of history research I have lost my ability to be creative quickly. Today I was thinking about embarassment..the things that make us embarassed actually. For example, I was at Panera, buying breakfast for me and Nick and I handed the girl my credit card. I KNEW I had plenty on it, because I had just paid the bill yesterday. But, alas! the payment had not posted because I hadn't paid at the perfect time on a weekend. So, my card was rejected. Luckily I had cash, but that left me with only $1 left. My point though is this...I was really embarassed. It wasn't my fault that the payment hadn't been posted, because I was going by central standard time and my credit card company was on eastern standard time, and I hadn't done anything on purpose to make the cashier have to run it again and then change the order and all - and yet, I was really embarassed, thinking "gosh, what are they thinking, probably that I should pay my damn bills on time, etc." So I got all defensive, in my head.

Being embarassed is such a weird thing isn't it? It's so based on how others view us - and I really didn't care what that cashier thought - I don't even know her - and yet, I DID care for just that tiny amount of time and I was embarassed.

In other news, it's possible I spelled embarassed incorrectly. If someone actually knows if it's right or not, let me know.

4 comments:

Nathan said...

Yeah. I'm with you on this. Also, I believe you spelled it correctly.

On another note, whenever anyone writes and/or says "and yet..." I instantly return to Play On from the fall of our senior year.

I have no idea what comes after that line, but I definitely remember playing the guy who plays the villian and yelling "And yet...!" pause pause pause. "And yet?"

It still tickles me.

KU Mommy said...

ah.. sweet joyous play on. now THAT was a stupid play.

Kathleen said...

I sometimes really miss high school and all the fun stuff we did.

Anonymous said...

I need to get out my box of high school stuff and post the awesome song Felix wrote about mine and katie's characters, about how it was ok to be gay. :-)