Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Tooth Fairy

I just read an article on Yahoo: Finance about how much the tooth fairy should leave for kids. I have to admit - I was kind of appalled. Apparently, teeth are now going for $5 (the first one) and $1-3 for the subsequent ones. Does anyone else think this seems rather high for teeth that will eventually, probably, be thrown away? I mean, you might save the first lost tooth for a keepsake right, but all the other ones?

And isn't a quarter or fifty cents a better price for that? I just keep thinking that if and when I have kids, I don't want to put a $5 bill under a pillow for a tooth! Am I being crazy? Cheap? I just don't see the value in that? I would want my kids to be excited, of course - but can't they save up from all the teeth? Add it to a coin jar? Don't kids still like to dump out and count their coins to see how much they've saved?

So parents (you know, real ones, not like me, a parent-in-mind-only and doting aunt to my ten nieces and nephews (YES I DO include my honorary niece Nora here!) what do you think? Am I being cheap? What do you do about lost teeth, if you've dealt with it? For non-parents, do you have an idea of what you'd do if you're planning on having kids? What's the trend here?

3 comments:

KU Mommy said...

Well... Considering the dubs is anti Santa and anti Easter bunny, I'm pretty sure the tooth fairy isn't visiting our house either. But if she did, there's no way in heck shed be dropping 5 dollars per tooth. I'm pretty sure a quarter is sufficient.

Kathleen said...

Good - I no longer feel like a cheap, old-fashioned, stick-in-the-mud. I get the whole rite-of-passage thing, and it was probably started to make kids feel better, especially if losing a tooth is bloody and painful or traumatizing (pliers, anyone?) But I figured a quarter, maybe fifty cents, would be sufficient.

Anonymous said...

I think it's silly. And Nora totally loves putting coins in her bank, so I dont think she'll feel gyped.

Sara